Working at the Y
What makes the Y WA so special? Quite simply, it’s our phenomenal staff. They are dedicated to ensuring each and every service we provide is unique, inclusive and a place where everyone can reach their full potential.
We are always looking for people who can make a difference in our organisation - whether you’ve got experience, or just a real interest in working in any of our services, we want to hear from you!
So who is the Y and what do we do?
You’ve probably heard the YMCA song, but there’s so much more to the Y…
The Y WA is part of the YMCA movement – the largest and oldest youth organisation in the world. We’ve evolved from YMCA to the Y, as these days our doors are open to everyone, regardless of age, gender, sexuality, religion or difference. We’re a not for profit organisation that believes in the power of inspired young people. We’ve been creating positive change and social impact in WA communities for over 110 years through over 60 services and programs including: -
- Youth Services - We provide safe, inclusive spaces across the state, for 11 to 25 year old’s to connect with each other and their community. Programs and events include drop-in sessions, Collision Festival, Youth Parliament and Case Management. We also produce an award-winning podcast YChats, a podcast for young people by young people.
- Children’s Services - The Y WA is one of the most successful not for profit providers of children’s services in Australia. We have nearly 40 early learning centres and before and after school care services in WA, with more planned for the next 12 months – so if you are looking for a rewarding career in childcare, with career growth opportunities, we are actively recruiting a range of roles! You will be part of an amazing team who nurture and encourage children to reach their full potential. Perhaps instead, you’d rather be your own boss and start your own business! The Y can help and support you in setting up your very own Family Day Care. To find out more, visit https://www.ymcawa.org.au/what-we-do/child-care/family-day-care/interested-in-becoming-a-family-day-care-educator
- Health & Wellness – We operate several recreation centres across Perth and regional WA where we provide community sports, fitness classes, aquatics and are actively involved in supporting local initiatives.
- Community Services - The Y WA provides a range of community initiatives from early years development and learning through play.
- Y Vocational School - Opening in February 2022, our new Y school will provide supported education for year 10 to 12 students who have disengaged from mainstream learning. Each student will have an Individual Education plan, carefully designed to achieve their goals so they can create a pathway to success.
The Y fast facts
- Did you know the Y is the largest and oldest youth movement at more than 175 years old
- The Y operates in 120 countries reaching over 64 million people worldwide each year
- Our mission: “To provide opportunities for young people to grow in body, mind and spirit”
- Any surpluses the Y WA makes are reinvested into children’s, youth and community projects and programs
- There are 1.4 million participations each year in Western Australia alone
- We employ nearly 200 young people under 25
- We are independently reviewed by the Australian Childhood Foundation to ensure our services are safe for all children and young people
Apply for Current Vacancies